Mother’s Day is Sunday and I couldn’t think of a better recipe to share than one from a mother!
Last summer, my dear friend shared a piece of his mom’s famous Strawberry Delight and I had to have the recipe. A dessert staple in his house growing up, this is the perfect treat to kick off spring and it’s simple enough to make for Mom this weekend.
Frozen desserts are easy to make, the trickiest part is planning ahead so you have time for everything to freeze to perfection; Mom recommends making this a day ahead of time to ensure solid freezing.
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
Mix and pat into buttered 9×13” pan. Bake at 350º until golden brown – about 15 minutes. Break into small pieces with spoon when baked (to form crumbly crust), allow to cool.
- 16 oz. frozen strawberries (sweetened and sliced). If using whole frozen berries, pulse in food processor to dice. Note: Let stand out only 1/2 – 3/4 hour before mixing – must be very cold!
- 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 pint whipping cream, whipped. Note: You can use Cool Whip if desired.
- In large mixing bowl, mix together strawberries, egg whites, sugar and lemon juice. Beat for 15 minutes with mixer – start slowly and end on highest speed.
- Fold whipped cream into strawberry mixture, and spread into pan over crumbled crust. Cover with foil and freeze. Remove from freezer just before serving.
Makes 15 servings. Make the day before serving to ensure solid freezing (or at least 6 hours ahead for less solid freezing). Prep time, 30-45 minutes. Garnish with fresh strawberries.
Optional: Drizzle with chocolate syrup.