When you find a recipe on a blog called Damn Delicious, you know that you’re in for a treat.
For the original Cheesy Enchilada Rice Skillet recipe, visit Damn Delicious. My modified version uses less cheese and packs a spicy kick for those cold winter nights!
SPICY ENCHILADA RECIPE
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can of canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can hot enchilada sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon oregano
Hot sauce to taste (I used 2 tablespoons of Fulton Brewery’s green chili sauce)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Shredded Mexican blend cheese for topping
1. Cook rice according to package instructions, set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook until tender, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in rice, corn, black beans and enchilada sauce, until well combined and heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Remove from heat. Either top with cheese in the skillet and cover until melted, or add to individual servings.
5. Serve immediately, garnish with cilantro and avocado.
* Use a gluten-free enchilada sauce to make this recipe gluten-free
* Omit the cheese to make this dish vegan
* Serve with tortilla chips or tortillas
* Use Mild enchilada sauce and omit hot sauce to eliminate the heat
* Total time: Approximately 40 minutes (or the time to cook your rice!)
* Makes four servings