Some weeks there is less healthy cooking in my life than I like to admit, this was one of those weeks. Fortunately, the one meal that I made was worth sharing! Vietnamese Noodle Salad with Chickpeas and Rainbow Carrots from Vegetarian Times:
This gluten-free, vegan recipe is a cold noodle salad. After the cold blast of fall air we’d just had, I wanted something hot, hot, hot for dinner! I’d like to say that’s why I used chile garlic sauce instead of sweet chile sauce but I’d be lying. I didn’t have any sweet chile sauce, so I opted to go for a spicy substitution instead. The ruling? I really liked it. It was quick and simple, ready in less than 30 minutes and my spicy version was warming even though the dish was cool.
Here’s the recipe from Vegetarian Times (October 2013 p.29):
- 4 oz. thin rice noodles
- 6 Tbs. sweet chile sauce (I used red chile garlic sauce)
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 rainbow carrots, sliced into thin coins (1 cup) (I used regular carrots)
- ¾ cup cooked chickpeas
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup toasted unsalted cashews, chopped (I was so hungry, I didn’t chop the cashews)
1. Prepare rice noodles according to package directions. Drain in colander, and rinse under cold water until completely cooled.
2. Stir together sweet chile sauce and lime juice in measuring cup or small bowl.
3. Combine noodles, cabbage, carrots, chickpeas, cilantro, and mint in large bowl. Add chile sauce mixture, and toss to coat. Garnish with toasted cashews.